Breast Augmentation Incision Options
Breast implants can be inserted at four different locations on your body. Each location has certain advantages and disadvantages. You should should discuss your breast augmentation incision options with one of our Jacksonville plastic surgeons at Florida Plastic Surgery Group.
Depending on the parameters of your breast augmentation, our experienced plastic surgeons will make incision suggestions and offer additional information to help you make important decisions about your procedure.
Locations of Breast Augmentation Incisions
There are four possible breast augmentation incision options through which the breast implant can be placed:
- Under the breast (inframammary)
- Around the nipple (periareolar)
- In the armpit (transaxillary)
- In the navel (transumbilical)
The inframammary incision is placed on your breast, just above the crease between your breast and chest. Transaxillary and transumbilical methods use a thin cable with a camera on the end – a device called an “endoscope.” The endoscope is inserted through the incision and projects an image onto a screen. Our doctors use the endoscope and other tiny instruments to create the implant pocket and place the breast implant.
Breast Augmentation Incision Considerations
The incision option you choose depends on a number of factors, including:
- Whether a saline or silicone implant is used: In a transumbilical incision, only a deflated saline implant can be inserted. Either implant can be inserted through the armpit, but there may be certain size restrictions for a silicone implant inserted through the underarm.
- Your expectations and desires: The various incisions create different scars. If you prefer a highly concealed scar, the transaxillary or periareolar incision may be suggested. Within the armpit, the scar is well hidden even when you lift up your arms. Around the nipple, the scar blends into the color and texture change occurring between the areola and breast skin.
In addition to choosing an incision location, you will also choose a breast implant type, shape, texture and placement. Together, these aspects of your procedure will achieve the final result you desire.
If you would like to know more about your breast augmentation incision options, please contact one of our plastic surgeons to schedule a consultation at the Florida Plastic Surgery Group.