Implant Based Reconstruction
Either saline breast implants or silicone breast implants can be placed under the pectoralis muscle to reconstruct the breast. Although silicone implants are softer and have a more natural looking appearing, our doctors leave the choice of implant type up to each patients. In some cases, by using cadaver dermis tissue, our plastic surgeons can reconstruct your breast in a single stage. In other cases, a tissue expander needs to be placed under the muscle and expanded over the months leading up to the final implant placement. Nipple-areola reconstruction can also be performed to complete your reconstruction.
- Provides an upper-breast fullness for a more youthful look
- The recovery from implant placement is generally faster than flap reconstruction methods
- There are no additional scars on the body
- It can be matched on the opposite breast
- The extra volume can help correct ptosis (loose skin) of the breast
- Since an implant is a foreign body in the breast tissue, there is an increased risk for infection around the implant
- Less natural breast shape
- Wrinkling or rippling of the implants may occur
- Breast tissue may form capsule around the implant causing the breast to become firm and sometimes painful
- Expander placement does require 2 stages for breast reconstruction and several visits to the office to fill the expander
Our breast reconstruction team at Florida Plastic Surgery Group will help guide you through the procedure and recovery process one step at a time, explaining all treatment options and listening to your individual goals to create a personalized approach for your breast reconstruction.
Insurance for Your Breast Reconstruction
Our plastic surgery team will work with you to ensure your treatment and surgery are covered by your insurance company. Pre-authorization from your insurance company is generally required. At Florida Plastic Surgery Group, our office staff will work with you and act as your advocate when speaking with your insurance company.
To learn more about implant based breast reconstruction and how our plastic surgeons can help you achieve your goals after mastectomy, please contact our office today and schedule a consultation.