Breast Augmentation, also known as breast enlargement or augmentation mammoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery procedure employed to enhance both the size and shape of the breasts.
The reasons for electing to undergo augmentation mammoplasty include:
- Enhance body shape and proportions
- Correct breast asymmetry
- Restore breast volume after pregnancy and nursing
- Breast reconstruction
There are 4 different approaches or incisions used when performing breast augmentation.
- Periareolar – an incision around the nipple-areola complex
- Inframammary – incision at the base of the breast
- Transaxillary endoscopic augmentation mammoplasty – an incision within the armpit is utilized and with the assistance of a camera a precise pocket under the muscle is created for the implant
- TUBA (transumbilical breast augmentation) – an incision around the belly button (umbilicus)
There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach. Our doctors will discuss each of these with you to help you choose the right technique.
Minimally Invasive Breast Augmentation
Our experienced cosmetic surgeons frequently perform transaxillary endoscopic augmentation mammoplasty. The minimally invasive breast augmentation technique is performed by placing the incision in the armpit to ensure NO scars on the breast itself. The incision under the armpit heals quite well and after 1 year will likely be imperceptible. A precise pocket is created under the muscle with the assistance of a small video camera after which a silicone or saline implant is placed.
There are three options for implant placement when undergoing breast augmentation. The implant can be placed in the following places:
- Subglandular – Above the muscle, but under gland.
- Submuscular – Under the muscle. The amount of muscle coverage is individualized to each patient and depends on the location of the nipple pre-operatively. By utilizing this dual plane technique, the nipple-areola complex can be raised without making further unnecessary incisions.
- Subfascial – Under the gland and fascia of the muscle.
The size of the implant is a very personal choice as each woman has her own preferences and ideal body image. Our doctors listen to your input on sizing to help pick an implant size that satisfies each patient’s expectations as well as fits with the patient’s anatomy to maximize surgical success. When assessing implant size, patients should be aware that very large implants will result in sagging of the breast tissue faster than smaller implants.
There are generally two choices in implant fill material: silicone or saline implants. Below you will find the advantages and disadvantages of both silicone and saline implants.
- Smaller incisions
- Implant costs are less
- Easy to detect ruptures
- If the implant ruptures, the saline is harmlessly absorbed by the body
- Available for all ages
- Can result is visible rippling of the tissue
- Not as soft or natural feeling
- Softer, more natural feeling
- Less rippling
- Improved results for patients with thin skin
- Larger Incisions
- Cost of implants is higher
- Not available for women under 22 years old
- Implant leaks can be more difficult to detect and diagnose
In addition, implants can have either a textured or smooth surface and each type has its role in cosmetic surgery of the breast. The type most appropriate for each case is explained to all patients by our cosmetic surgery team.
There are two types of implant shapes: round and anatomic implants. In addition, implants come in three ranges of projection or profiles. All of these factors are taken into account to ensure patient satisfaction when it comes to the final surgical shape as well as the amount of projection and cleavage created from breast enhancement.
Learn more about:
- Breast Implants
- Breast Augmentation – From pre-op to recovery
- Breast Augmentation FAQ (frequently asked questions)
- Breast Augmentations and Mammograms
Financing for Your Breast Augmentation
Our cosmetic surgery team constantly evaluates multiple companies to find the most reliable financing options for our patients. Please view our financing page to learn about the options available to you.
Breast augmentation is the most popular cosmetic surgery, and women of all ages, shapes and sizes are seeking this surgery. Please contact The Florida Plastic Surgery Group to schedule your initial consultation.