Eyelid RejuvenationA blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) is a surgical procedure that can rejuvenate the appearance of both the upper and lower eyelids. As we age, the eyelids lose their firmness and fullness and the muscles of the eye become lax. As a result, in the upper lids, excess skin causes our eyelids to appear wrinkled and can limit our vision. In the lower lids, excess skin and the drooping of fat and muscle causes changes in the shape of the eyes and in the development of malar bags. A blepharoplasty can address these hallmark signs of aging and restore a youthful appearance. At Florida Plastic Surgery Group, this procedure can be performed on the upper and/or lower eyelids and is often combined with other procedures, such as a brow lift, face lift, and mid-face lift. There are a number of different ways to perform a blepharoplasty and the decision whether to remove skin; skin and muscle; or skin, muscle, and fat depends on your particular surgeon. After carefully evaluating the aging process and what makes eyelids look young, our approach is centered around volume preservation. Most surgeons and traditional techniques incorporate a significant amount of fat and muscle removal, which results in a hollowed, cadaveric appearance to the lids.
Upper Eyelid SurgeryThe upper eyelid blepharoplasty begins with a careful preoperative evaluation aimed at creating a customized approach for each patient. One of our experienced plastic surgeons will help you decide which procedure or combination of procedures will best suit your needs. Our doctors always involve our patients when creating a surgical plan, and together you will decide the following factors:
- Where the new crease will be set
- Whether you have a ptosis (droopy lid) that needs elevation
- If and where fat needs to be removed (there are 2 compartments of fat in the upper eyelids)
- If the tear gland needs to be elevated
- If a brow lift needs to be performed
Lower Eyelid SurgeryLower eyelid surgery and rejuvenation also has many variables. Our doctors carefully evaluate many variables to maximize the aesthetic results. The following factors need to be taken into account:
- Does skin need to be removed?
- Does the fat need to be repositioned to correct the bags and blend the lower lid and cheek margin?
- Does the lower eyelid need to be elevated with suspension procedure?
- Would you also benefit from a mid-face or cheek lift?